By Charlotte Lira
‘Tis the season to be jolly and full of knowledge. It’s the most wonderful time of the year and with that there is no room to be a Scrooge. To brighten your spirits for the Holiday season here are 13 facts about Christmas you may not know!
- Christmas’ December 25th calendar date replaced a Roman Pagan holiday called Saturnalia after the Roman Empire converted to Christianity.
- Prince Albert – husband to Queen Victoria of Great Britain- started the Christmas tree tradition in the 1800s.
- Coca-Cola is responsible for much of Santa’s modern image
- “Jingle Bells” was originally a Thanksgiving song
- Puritans who settled Boston in the 1600s made the celebration of Christmas illegal (wow i’m glad its not anymore)
- Christmas decorating sends nearly 15,000 people to the ER every year due to electrical fire hazards and falling from ladders.
- Santa has his own zip code in Canada for kids to write letters to
- The term “X-mas” dates back to the 1500s, as “Christianity” was once spelled Xianity – a translation from the original Greek term.
- Between Thanksgiving and New Years, Americans ship more than 15 billion parcels of mail
- About 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas
- Many Americans will spend nearly $1,000 on Christmas gifts
- Candy Canes got their start in Germany as gifts to children so they would be quiet during long church services
- The most popular Christmas song is All I Want For Christmas by none other than Mariah Carey